atom feed12 messages in com.selenic.mercurialRe: Remove deprecation warning on [de...
FromSent OnAttachments
Harald KirschAug 12, 2010 5:07 am
Dirkjan OchtmanAug 12, 2010 5:48 am
Mads KiilerichAug 12, 2010 5:54 am
Haszlakiewicz, EricAug 12, 2010 9:03 am
Harald KirschAug 12, 2010 11:52 pm
Dirkjan OchtmanAug 13, 2010 12:51 am
Martin GeislerAug 13, 2010 1:02 am
Greg WardAug 13, 2010 6:22 am
Matt MackallAug 13, 2010 7:01 am
Martin GeislerAug 13, 2010 7:32 am
Harvey ChapmanAug 13, 2010 7:42 am
Matt MackallAug 13, 2010 8:02 am
Subject:Re: Remove deprecation warning on [defaults] (was: Prevent commit to commit everything)
From:Matt Mackall (mp@selenic.com)
Date:Aug 13, 2010 7:01:59 am
List:com.selenic.mercurial

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 10:02 +0200, Martin Geisler wrote:

Harald Kirsch <Hara@raytion.com> writes:

In the docs I read that [defaults] is deprecated.

I think we should remove that warning now that we have the HGPLAIN environment variable. What do you guys think?

Breaking automation is only one of the reason to not use defaults.

Another is they form bad habits. One of the earliest versions of Slackware (circa 1993) used to ship with a shell configured with a default alias of 'rm = rm -i' under the assumption that most users were complete Linux newbs and they should be warned that they were deleting their files permanently. Result: lots of users' fingers 'learned' they could use 'rm' without any forethought and put off having their real learning experience about rm until they were on a different machine - possibly someone else's.

And a third is that our options aren't toggles (and aren't going to be). So if you want to disable one default option, you've got to switch -everything- into plain mode.

And a fourth is that aliases do everything that defaults did and more, while providing the ability to avoid shadowing built-ins (thus avoiding the above three points). So there really no reason to use defaults these days. We should probably drop the docs.